Sunday, April 19, 2009

Samuel Rutherford on the Well-Meant Offer

I have been going through a book by the Scottish Puritan Samuel Rutherford in my free time (hence it would take some time to finish it) entitled The Covenant of Life Opened (New Lenox, IL, USA: Puritan Publications, 2005. Original published on 1654). Here is an interesting quote by Rutherford relevant to the topic of the Well-meant offer (Two can play the "quotes" game)

And this is a Gospel truth now, that stands after the Incarnation, as before Romans 9:18. He hath therefore mercy upon whom he will, and hardens whom he will. And he said it in the Old Testament, Exodus 33:19, and repeateth it to us, Romans 9:15. I will have mercy upon whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion upon whom I will have compassion. And if any man say that he hath the like antecedent natural good will, to save eternally all these whom he calleth and moveth finally to obey, and the greatest part of mankind whom he so moveth and calleth as he knoweth they shall never obey, whereas he can move all finally to obey, without straining their natural liberty: He speaks things that cannot consist with both the wisdom and liberty of God. (p. 190-191)

2 comments:

Mark Farnon (Tartanarmy) said...

Great quote! I need to blog this with all the other stuff. Well done.

Mark

Daniel C said...

Mark:

you're welcome.