Defending the faith is not just about tearing down heresy but also about building up in sound doctrine. It is thus not only negative but positive. Recently, a question was put to me as to what actions Rick Warren should take which would show forth whether he is repentant over his sins. Of course, the basic answer is that given by Pastor Bob DeWaay, which is to preach the Gospel and go back to Sola Scriptura in ALL of life and ministry. I have however decided to unpack that a bit and show forth some concrete steps Warren should take. Feel free to add in any legitimate points you may have on this subject.
- Stop allowing Roman Catholics to take part as churches in the 40DOP or DOC or whatever program Warren wishes to start, without them first becoming Christians and renouncing their false religion.
- Publicly call on the Pope to repent of denying the Gospel, to repudiate the Council of Trent with its attendent anathemas against Bible believers
- Do not preach “how to grow your synagogue” messages to unrepentent Jews but call on them to believe in their Messiah Jesus Christ
- Publicly repudiate what he calls a pervasion of his teaching in churches kicking out believers (Purpose Driven resistors) and stating that those who say that this is what they have learned from him or the PDC (Purpose Driven Church) are in serious error.
- Stop using the Message pervasion and stick to good Bible translations like the NASB, NKJV and the ESV. Repent of using 13 different bible “translations” and of ripping the verses out of context in his PDL
- Emphasize that what the Lord requires is not sacrifice but obedience, and therefore what is required is holy living more than what any member can contribute to the Church and her programs. Emphasize that the Church should love and treat all her members equally whether they are serving in the church or not.
- Set himself against the relativism and inclusivism present in the Emerging Church Movement. He can do it as lovingly as the way D.A. Carson does it.
- Renounce playing politics and involving the Church in social causes void of the proclamation of the Gospel. Take part only in social causes that are coupled with a clear proclamation of the Gospel of Christ
- Stop being unequally yoked with members of the CFR in politicking. Get back to calling all Man to repentance, including the big shots over in CFR who are lost apart from the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ
- Change the 'P' in the PEACE plan to "Proclaiming first and foremost the unadulterated Gospel of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ in all its fulness, calling on all Man everywhere to repent and turn to Jesus Christ as the only Savior from sins and the wrath of God" (Idea taken from Pastor Bob DeWaay's response)
I think all these should be a good start. And let me say up front that I will most definitely rejoice the day Warren does this. After all, it is written:
...there is joy before the angels of God over one sinner who repents (Lk. 15:10b)
Have I any pleasure in the death of the wicked, declares the Lord God, and not rather that he should turn from his way and live? (Ez. 18:23)