Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Metamorphosis: Reflections 2

[Continuing from my previous reflection]

Besides the various workshops that we attended during the Metamorphosis Student Conference, we listened to a couple of talks and sermons throughout the conference given by various people and have a fun time fellowshipping with one another.

With regards to the messages and sermons given, let's just say that as messages, they were fine. They were given to impart the visions of Campus Crusade, which is encapsulated in the statement 'Movement everywhere, so that every student knows someone who truly follows Jesus'. Definitely, such a goal is noble indeed, and all Christians are to strive to be witnesses for Christ whenever and wherever we are, not just only for 'elite Christians' or Christians with the gift of Evangelism. We are each called to be witnessed for Christ in our own respective areas, and to bring glory to Him who is our Savior and Lord, even Christ.

Viewed that way, the messages and sermons given were fine, except perhaps sometimes a little less emphasis on Campus Crusade itself would be good.

During one of the morning session, a speaker, Dr. Mah Yeoh Beng, spoke regarding the passage of Lk. 14:25-33, on the cost of discipleship. Now, I have heard this passage many times, and I gladly proclaim the supreme Lordship of Christ over every aspect of our lives. As Christians, we forfeit any rights and priviledges we have, in service unto the Lord our God who gave His all for us. However, this is easier said than done. It is easy to serve the Lord and sacrifice unto Him when it costs us little. And definitely, short-term sacrifice is much easier to make than that which costs us our entire life. For me, I have been struggling over my future; over what I would like to do for my future. Although I have heard the call to go full-time, I ignored it, although I was open to serving God in some capacity. Definitely, I feared for whether I could have enough money to live on etc, especially since I knew that my stand would be an unpopular one. After all, if at least half of those who call themselves Evangelical would oppose you (especially since I am against Warrenism and Neo-Evangelicalism among others), wouldn't you worry about things like finances? This is especially so for me since I am the oldest in my family, and a guy (which means that I am responsible next time for supporting my parents and my future family). Anyway, I decided to entrust all of these worries unto the Lord, and thus I commit myself to going full-time sometime in the future, though not necessarily in the near-future, as the Lord leads.

[to be continued]

No comments: