Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A short paragraph on modesty

Wow – this one [Modesty] is a big one. We often think that men will like us better if we show more skin? Hmmm….let me think through this. Two guys in my life have spoken this to me in the past ten years: “Kim, I’m so glad I don’t have to worry about what you wear. Thank you for protecting me.” “Kim, I know guys who don’t attend ____________ in the summer at church because the women don’t know how to dress and they don’t want to go there and struggle with lust, so they just do not go.” This last one breaks my heart. That women don’t care enough about their brothers in Christ to wear modest clothing. Lord – may we seek your heart on this matter, not legalism. Legalism and hem lines will never win this battle. Our heart must seek you in everything we wear. 1 Timothy says “women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control.” - Kim Davidson

It is written that "out of the abundence of the heart his mouth speak" (Lk. 6:45). Similarly, out of the abudence of the heart modesty is either practiced or not practiced. If a woman doesn't dress modestly, chances are she is most definitely not someone who is godly.

No comments: